Search for collections on Wintec Research Archive

The economic role of the accredited/clinical exercise physiologist within the New Zealand Allied Health field


[thumbnail of Conference abstracts] PDF (Conference abstracts)
2018_SESNZ Conference_Pearce Longhurst_presentation - Copy.pdf - Supplemental Material

Download (560kB)


Pearce, A, Longhurst. G.
Centrefor Sport Science and Human Performance, Waikato Institute of Technology
Mortality rate of NCD in NZ is 89% of all deaths. Healthcare cost per person in NZ is $4018 per person in 2014 with a gross national income average of $30750, This is 11% of the GDP. In 2012 that was only $3721 pp per year. In 2012 NZ had the 2nd highest proportion of obesity in the world at 26.5% with the US being number one at 33.8%. NZ has the second lowest rate of knee replacements at 102/100000 and hip replacements at 149/100000 with Germany topping the list at 213/100000 and 296/100000 respectively, this could be due to the positive effect physios have had or that in general the DHB's try to avoid the surgeries? According to the WHO New Zealanders mortality rate for raised blood pressure is 21.6% and obesity 28.3%, In 2006, New Zealanders sustained health losses totalling almost one million years ofhealthy life (955,000 DALYs). Just over half (51%) ofthis total health loss resulted from fatal outcomes, with non-fatal outcomes accounting for 49%. Adjusting for age and population size, health loss in Mäori was almost times higher than in non-Mäori, with more than half of Mäori health loss occurring before middle age. If Mäori had experienced similar rates of health loss to non-Mäori at all ages, health loss among Mäori would have been 42% less and that of the whole population 7% less. Total DALYs lost are projected to increase from 955,000 in 2006 to 1.085 million in 2016, a rise of 13-4%. This assumes a continuation of recent demographic trends (population and ageing) and epidemiological trends (disease and injury incidence and mortality). Prorcted increases in population size and ageing explain 80% of this trend, with epidemiological changes explaining the remaining 20%.

Item Type: Paper presented at a conference, workshop, or other event which was not published in the proceedings
Uncontrolled Keywords: exercise physiologist, New Zealand allied health field, sports science
Subjects: G Geography. Anthropology. Recreation > GV Recreation Leisure
Divisions: Schools > Centre for Sport Science and Human Performance
Depositing User: Glynis Longhurst
Date Deposited: 14 Dec 2018 03:17
Last Modified: 21 Jul 2023 08:00

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item